Monday, March 23, 2009

In Tabor's Yard It's All About Location, Location, Location


Last year the red-bellied woodpecker family made their home in the tall dead tree just outside the southeastern corner of my house and only a few feet from the sunflower supermarket. The male rounded the natural knothole to perfection and then called the female over for her approval. She wasn't too crazy about it facing the house instead of the water but the spring was moving on fast and she had eggs to lay and so they closed on the place and raised their family. Their children were natural athletes and soon moved on before mid-summer.

Yesterday, I took this photo (click for a better view) of a male red-bellied woodpecker, perhaps the same one, checking out the old stomping grounds. The place is a bit last year's style and needs some cleanup, but it has still got good bones and the price is right. Lots of great trees for the children to learn flying in. Perhaps the pair are moving in again for the spring. It is all about location, location, location.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    He is a beautiful woodpecker. Well, I don't think I've ever seen an ugly woodpecker, but he is extra beautiful. Nice to have their family so close by. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often hear the woodpeckers when out walking Lindsay but seeing them takes more stores of patience and quiet than Lindsay has available.

    So I really enjoy this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:16 PM

    I love the way you wrote this!! So fun Tabor :)
    I dont think I will ever get over the variety of birds you have!!
    My mum would love to sit at your place for awhile watching the comings and goings of your feathery friends.
    Have a beautiful day.
    xm

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.