Saturday, March 28, 2009

Neighborhood Gossip

Playing the role of the nosy neighbor I was looking out the window of my kitchen long before the sunrise as I sipped my first cup of morning coffee and thought I saw something in the hole of the dead tree trunk. The morning was still dark but I was pretty sure I saw the head of a bird peaking out. Had the red-bellied decided to stay? I grabbed both my camera and the binoculars.

I went outside with my camera and caught this photo in the dark. It has been photo-shopped to death and this was the best I could create with the distance of the shot and the dark morning. It is my friend Flicka (flicker) that has picked up the lease on the old place. The hole has been slightly enlarged and the place looks cleaner. So it appears we will have new neighbors for a short time.

Missed the moving van, but the flicker does not appear near the house in the daytime...only in the very early morning. Perhaps I can get a photo in the late afternoon if this drizzle stops and the sun cooperates?

1 comment:

  1. You did a wonderful job of adjusting what I know can be a very difficult shot considering the lighting restrictions. A Flicker is a lovely bird. I don't think I've ever seen one outside of photos. "My Friend Flicka" made me smile.. and remember a once-favourite TV show. :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.