Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Battles Won and Lost


Last fall I was crazy strong and laughed at the rush of cold weather that was waiting like a freight train to freeze everything in its path and to turn every warm color to cold gray and black.  I crossed my arms and stuck out my chin and said "Bring it on."  With the heat of fall afternoons still in my heart, I even paused to reflect on the beauty of the dusting of white glitter that continued to cover every surface while holding close any remaining warmth beneath my scarf.



But time was on winter's side and I have been worn smooth with all the suffocating snows and freezing rains and charging winds and shortened days.  My sharp chin has been refined into modesty and my arms hang down at my sides no longer attempting to hold in the warmth.  Now as I finally admit defeat, the winter takes its victory flags and in a sudden departure opens the door for gentle, shy spring to arrive surprising us all!

10 comments:

  1. If this is Spring - it still is might cool here in the woods.
    Sun - please shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best surprises of all. I love the way you express yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, open the doors and let Spring in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not just yet: Beware of the Spring Blues of early April when, on the brink of spring, cold and dreary weather takes grip. Those are the days that is winter's final test. (Here in Florida we have the same thing, only reversed: our long stretch of summer heat into fall.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, I know. Many a spring have I watched cherry blossoms fade in the cold rain and even the rare snow fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. supposed to be in the 70s this weekend..cant wait...the winter has worn me smooth...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh the poetry in that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you all have had a long winter and I don't blame you for embracing the spring. Even if you get zapped by a storm now you know it will not last long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully said, Tabor.

    We've been enjoying spring like weather this past week. But I think winter still has a surprise or two in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely post...I felt much the same - posting about such feelings myself - just as I thought I could not bear another day...the sun emerged.

    Would spring be so glorious if we had no winter gales to smooth our edges?

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.