Monday, February 13, 2012

A Distant Purr

Late last week we were warned of a cold front (finally) coming through.  Thus a few errands were in quick order two of which involved our family of birds.  We made sure the feeders were full and the water dish filled to the rim with fresh water.  It was getting dark before we finished outside chores.


As we were tying down the cover to the BBQ on the deck we heard a deep gentle repetitive sound in the ravine on the right side of the house.  There is something so magical when some small life form sings its territorial song with such bravery and self-confidence across the darkening and mysterious woods.  You cannot help but stop and listen.

My husband thought it was a frog because of the warmer weather.  But I knew in my heart that it was some type of owl.  I do not know why I knew this, because I am not an owl expert, but something made me sure.  I searched for owl calls on the Internet once I got inside and found out it was a screech owl, megascops aslo.  The sound was not at all what I expected from that sound and the owl's common name.  If you want to know what a screech owl sounds like, at least one of their more common sounds, click  here.  The sound that we heard was most like the first part of this sound and a little slower.  We never heard the horse neighing sound that comes later on this link.



Anyway, I hope my ankle heals sooner rather than later so that I may go searching for a screech owl nest.  These owls are very small, fluffy, and the color of the bark on the trees.  They will be hard to see.  Thus far in my small woods we have heard a screech owl and the great horned owl but I only saw the horned owl once and that was years ago.

9 comments:

  1. How exciting to know that this new life awaits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. def very cool...we rarely get to see the owls around here and when we do it is so magical...such amazing creatures...hope for healing your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember as I approached my gate to remove a white plastic bag from it...it flew away. It was a huge horned owl. Not a white bag at all. Ha!!
    I hear them quite a bit around here
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want to capture an owl. I hear them in the distance but have yet to photo them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there are barred owls in the back woods quite often at dusk. but i can never find one. i hope you find yours! thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I love owls and we have had a couple of Great Horned Owls around here, off and on, since last Summer in our residential area. We have big cottonwood trees that they perch in. We finally got to seem them last month - right near the house! Thank you for including the link for the audio track of the Screech Owl's sound. It's much gentler/softer than I had anticipated. Do keep us posted on your sightings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the rewards of being atuned to your environment, you discover the joy around you because you LOOK and LISTEN for these beautiful moments. I'm so glad you share these sweet moments with us - and I truly hope you heal soon, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have a sixth sense Tabor - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.