Friday, May 18, 2012

Spring Abundance

Walking the yard and looking for photographic subjects is one of the strange past times of this old lady.  As I rounded the high tulip tree with the un-used bird house, something caught my eye.  Do you see it?  No?  Let's move in closer.




What is that red thing on the top of the bird house?  I moved closer.




I was pretty sure that I knew what red decoration was sitting on the roof of the abandoned bird house and I was right!




It was an unripe strawberry.




The squirrel had absconded with it and 'squirreled' it away in a nice safe place to enjoy at his leisure.  Then while eating it, he realized in his speedy theft he had grabbed an unripe strawberry.  It was far from ready and he left it there and scurried down the tree back to our strawberry patch for another shopping trip.  I do not mind, because we have lots to share.  This photo below is the third harvest of at least six we have made this spring!



We have eaten them raw with a sprinkle of sugar, we have eaten them sliced on pancakes with homemade strawberry syrup, we have eaten them on top of ice cream, we have frozen several batches for winter desserts and 12 pints of jam.  And I have made a pie or two.  Lots of healthy vitamin C in that.




7 comments:

  1. oh wow...i am jealous...smiles....i LOVE strawberries....mmm mmm mm.....too bad for mr squirrel too...you have to take a little time for recon when absconding....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hysterical. A picky squirrel ...who knew? LOL

    Similar story -- We had a dog who managed to get a thawing chicken off the cabinet while we were out of the house. We returned to find the entire bird consumed by this small (now rotund) poodle and only the chicken neck remained uneaten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are making me drool! They look so yummy. I'm sure a raccoon will be willing to finish that berry off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories - I use to have a strawberry patch at the old farmhouse and made all the things you did.
    Nothing like the taste of your own berries....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome looking strawberries. We're a long way from strawberries here and we get nothing like what you show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... three of six harvests! What are you feeding the strawberry patch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't wait for strawberries here! there's nothing quite like them!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.