Monday, July 06, 2015

Come In For a Closer Look

Day was rainy and wet and just too awful to go outside and take photos.   So, I decided to use my scanner and a black box.  Below is a photo I took a while back of Joy Pye Weed (Eutrochium fistulosum) or trumpet weed.  I was actually taking a photo of the bumble bee in this instance, but then I noticed how interesting the small flowers are, like little ballerinas.



Below is a scan of a similar group of blossoms. 


 Fun!  Let us crop and zoom in.  According to USDA it is related to the aster family.  But the blossoms are truly exotic and complex.  It grows well at the edges of woods and in sunny meadows throughout the eastern portions of North America.



They almost look if they have been constructed  from bits and bobs rather than opened from buds.  Yet if you really look closely:



...missed this guy, guess it is now time to take this blossom back outside!

7 comments:

  1. So tiny- Wow, that last one looks like a sci-fi shot! Such a weird looking beetle. Now I know what Joe-Pie Weed looks like.
    Myself I'm having a heck of a time trying not to bring mice in old boxes to storage... Why packing n moving slowed way down- So things already packed get re-packed or tossed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't those blossoms just gorgeous!! Love your macro photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you take a close look at things you see some great surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that the tiniest flowers are really very complex. (and yes, I knew you were teasing).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! The closer you look at some things, the more complex and lovely they get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Tabor............ Joe Pye weed and bumbles are two of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That third shot is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.