Thursday, January 05, 2017

Winter and All is Dying

Today is the second day I have been alone at home. My spouse has taken a trip south to fish and camp in the Florida Everglades and will be gone for at total of 12 or 13 days. I am truly all alone. My neighbors to the right are in Florida awaiting the birth of a grandchild and my neighbors to the left have driven down to their luxury condominium in Sarasota, Florida for the duration of the winter. If I fall in the driveway no one will hear or see or come or care. It is kind of a weird, unattached feeling. 

I like the peace and quiet and took a walk outside to see what was happening in the yard as I had not been exploring for some time.  Weather was in the 50's F and the rain had stopped.

On my way back from the driveway gate I saw some strange white substance in my wildflower garden.  This is the place where I plant annuals and have to keep it fenced as animals eat everything.  I had pulled the gate down as everything was dead.



This is the same garden where I got that terrible rash from the larkspur in the summer.  I walked closer to see what this new mushroom or fungus might be.



It was clearly an odd thing and I was ready to document with the camera.



Then as I got closer I saw to my dismay that some tragic accident had taken place a while back. When talking on the phone to my husband that afternoon he said that when he had left in the dark he had seen in the car's headlights a rabbit make a dash across the road in the early dark of the morning.



I tried not to think about the terror and pain that this animal experienced as it died alone in the dark of the winter morning.  I tried not to think about the immediacy of life.  The animal was stiff and preserved in the cold.  I have no idea how to remove it from the fence without cutting through the wire.  I guess I will wait and see if our resident vultures find it or perhaps a hungry fox.

15 comments:

  1. Sad. I'd leave it to scavangers at this point.

    Keep a cell phone at hand. My mom had a fall on the ice when alone and it could have gotten serious. She crawled into the house, but did not call 911 because "she didn't want to trouble anyone." Fortunately she did have a neighbor call on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful. I keep my cell phone in my pocket all the time when I'm by myself inside or out. Not anxious just "girl scouting" it. I'd just leave the bunny too, nature will do take care of it. Sorry for the little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you encountered the passing of the animal

    Sorry again, no offense intended and I will be fine if you delete this post forever.

    Publishing who is or isn't at home is not safe for you or surely for your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Studio, I do blog anonymously and am hoping no one can crack that ID that lives in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymously is good to know, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that what you are doing is right, feed it to Vultures and Foxes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you drag that section of the fence far into the woods? They will find it there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sad, and it's the way things simply are. It will be eaten by some predator soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sad for the bunny! Luckily it's refrigerated n a food source for many other critters. I would probably try to back it out of the hole wearing gloves. It may be a long 2 weeks n much Germier later on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take care while you're there all alone. Sorry about the rabbit. I hit one once with a car and felt SO guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a nice analogy even if it contained a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sad! I learned of what you speak when I became a widow with no family, close friends nearby. Requires coming to a certain degree of acceptance and comfort that what is, is and what will be, will be. There's only a certain degree of reassurance that comes from others outside the home caring for your welfare, whether a nearby neighbor, friends living an hour's drive away, loving family across the miles instantly reached by phone, other tech communication systems.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, poor bunny. surprising that he could get most of his body through that opening but not his hind end. bad day for the bunny but a boon to some other forager. I'll have a week to myself in February, a rare event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor thing!

    Hope you are enjoying your solitude. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the progression of the photos. It really added nice suspense/mystery to the story. It show the power of persuasion because you mentioned a mushroom, so that's what I thought without even questioning. An then the dead rabbit appeared! I felt sorry for the bunny, too.

    Like the others mentioned, keep a cell phone with you.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.