Wednesday, June 21, 2017

And the Sun Returns


The sun has made its farthest reach to the west in this photo and now that summer solstice has arrived it will begin its journey back again to the left in the photo above.  I have been indoors during this magic hour most evenings because it is after dinner and dishes and I have put my feet up.  But the red in the window caught my eye and even though I had just changed into my nightwear I put on sandals and hurried down to the dock to capture such a lovely sunset.    (At my age I no longer care if neighbors catch me in my jammies.  It is an honor to be the subject of gossip rather than forgotten.)

The menhaden have started their dance up into my small finger of the river.  They are small fish that flash silver when they flip to swallow more plankton for dinner.  They swim in ballet groups of dozens and we saw several of these groups.  Next, they will be followed by those that eat them.  It is a constant drama.

There was a soft breeze that swept away the heat and humidity of the day and there was an added bonus of no biting flies or mosquitoes to distract from trying to keep the camera steady.

(Colors are true and not enhanced.)
Even when I turned around to head back to the house there was a different show going on behind me.


Glad to share my blessings on this day.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours, I am love with number one, stupendous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious, sunset! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you see why i love sunrise and sunset walks. Midday and midnight can be for sleeping, the sun rising and setting is for viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best tie of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning sunset photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. skies change very quickly just before and after sunset. Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning stuff. Pure color at it's finest there just to stir our imagination into another dimension. Jammies...mine aren't worth speaking about, so I wear Muumuus. Those baggy ruffled dresses that the Christians forced on the Hawaiian women...they are marvelous for rushing about in our fogs. People stop me and ask where I got it. Now then, I just ordered a second one. :) Only 36 bucks off Etsy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you ran out in your jammies to capture those photos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Such glorious beauty! Of course you had to go out, even in jammies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a gorgeous sunset. jammies or not I'd have been out there too. days will be getting shorter but temps here at least will continue to climb til September.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such astonishing color! Our sunsets on the pond are lovely but much more subdued.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sunset and your photos are just spectacular! I would have been mesmerized in place until the last bit of color melted from the sky. I share your views on not caring on occasion to being seen in my P.J.s if it conveniences me. We're more clothed than if we wore bathing suits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome pics of that great show you had! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice photos !! There must be a beautiful place !!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.