Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Currently, in my Area

I am alone this month.  All alone.  No demands on my time and a schedule of my own making.  I ate leftover pizza for early dinner and then made my way down to the river for a chance at capturing a fall sunset.


The oaks hang on to their leathery leaves until the last.  Tonight will be a big wind that may tear away some of these beauties.   Temperatures will drop a few degrees.


The gulls are taking advantage of the last calm evening for a while.  They cry and laugh and look like white flags swooping over the river from my vantage point at the house.  When I get down to the water's edge a few stay behind out of curiosity, perhaps.

All is unusually quiet.  No workman on the house across the river, no boats creating waves and wakes, no barking dogs.  It is as if "they" are mourning the departure of summer and looking for autumn and getting ready for a change.  It is marvelously peaceful and I sigh.  I am alone and not alone which is the best of pleasures.


I like the way the rough bark on the old cedar captures shadows as the sun heads downward.  It is strong and handsome and protects the smaller oaks from the stronger winds.


The saltbush is now in its white fuzzy glory, throwing fairy wisps across the water when the wind picks up.  While I do not get a beautiful sunset, I enjoy the evening quiet until it is past dusk and I slowly head up the gravel path to the house.  I surprise and am surprised by a yearling deer that is crossing the path.  He stops framed by the trunk of the beech tree, as do I framed by the last of the light from the water, and we assess each other in admiration before we both move on to our different paths.

7 comments:

  1. Poetic! Beautiful! Alone but not lonely, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully moving post and photos
    A quiet walk...shared...with friends
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and well written. You describe the scene to fill me with envy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, it would be very meditative and soothing to be alone this way, at least for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That post was a lovely, calming interlude. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some lovely shots there. I like my days of quiet and solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being alone but not lonely is a lovely state — especially so when in mother nature’s company. Loved your photos.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.